We did note the Spirit of Folk Festival way back in July of this year…. but now and with about a week or so to go this my good friends is the line-up (see below).
Never been and think you should maybe want to go along…..? This might just twist your arm slightly with a fine mix of Sodshow shows, music, chats and that that never entirely hit the airwaves.
- In iTunes: Spirit of Folk Festival
On the day of announcing this is what the lovely folkers had to say:
The Spirit of Folk festival, celebrating its fifth birthday, has today (08.09.15) announced the full programme line-up for the two day camping festival, which takes place later this month from 18th to 20th September in Dunderry Park, Co. Meath.
Over 30 bands are gearing up for Spirit of Folk 2015, a boutique, family-friendly festival, set across 25 acres of wooded parkland and Lakeland. The festival hosts two stages of live music from across folk, trad and bluegrass genres, and is also a holistic event, which celebrates all aspects of Irish ancestral traditions, including storytelling, traditional crafts, and ancient spiritual practices.
Speaking at the announcement, Festival Director, Natasha Duffy said:
“We’re delighted to announce the full programme for the fifth Spirit of Folk festival and really looking forward to what this year’s exciting line-up has to offer. We started this festival as a way to bring people together and celebrate Ireland’s rich folk heritage in a contemporary way.
“Year on year, we hear festival-goers tell us that Spirit of Folk is the best little festival they’ve been to. I truly believe we’ve created a unique and magical experience; where else would you get the chance to take part in a laugher yoga class, partake in falconry with real life birds of prey, witness some of Ireland’s best seanacais spin their yarns in a replica megalithic cairn, and dance all day and night to the best folk and trad music in the country? It’s been a fantastic season of festivals, and there is no better way to finish it off than Spirit of Folk!”
The festival gates will open at 6pm, and activities take place from 7pm to late on Friday 18th September, from 9am to late on Saturday 19th September, and from 9am until the Closing Ceremony at 12.30pm on Sunday 20th September. Highlights will include:
- A stunning line-up of main stage music performances by: Meteor award winner Mick Flannery; contemporary rock-trad powerhouse, Moxie; a soulful and much hyped Inni-k; Dublin singer-songwriter Rhob Cunningham; and the roof raising ‘Bunoscionn’, returning from their European tour, to perform a reggae-trad inspired ‘GAA Disco’.
- Other up and coming Irish acts include; Elm, Carriages, Dr. Millar, Mongoose, Cuig, Corner Boy, Barry McCormack, Rob Corcoran, The Blood Red Mountain Band, The Midnight Union Band, Elephant, Saint Sister, Elaine, Petonc, Basciville, Majestic Bears, Na Tonnta, Sun.Set.Ships, The Mariannes, Anna Mieke, The Ocelots, Carron and Kate O’Callaghan.
- Storytelling and poetry reading by Batt Burns, Eddie Lenihan, Jack Lynch and Nuala Hayes.
- The ‘Hall of Heroes’, a Spirit of Folk trademark attraction, will feature: The Irish Times Book Club discussion of Nuala O’Connor’s latest novel ‘Miss Emily’; a Strive Theatre production of ‘In Light of Salt Rings They Drew’, written by Sadhbh Moriarty the recipient of the Eamon Keane Full Length Play Award at Listowel Writers’ Week 2015; a table quiz; comic jam; and the raucously funny Spirit of Folk ‘Blind Date’.
- Children’s activities, including mindfulness for kids, dream catcher workshops, theatre performances, face-painting, puppet making, storytelling and dance.
- There will also be a lot of delicious food and drink options from the Home Fries caravan, Natasha’s Living Foods, healthy veg juice ice pops from Well Nice Pops, Suha’s Falafal and Pie Man.
- In addition, there will be talks and workshops on ancient druidism and shamanism, African song and dance workshops, living history, viking battle reenactments, archery, falconry, bicycle jousting, yoga, astronomy and bushcraft.
Spirit of Folk weekend tickets cost €70, including camping, and day tickets cost €50. To purchase your tickets go to www.spiritoffolk.com/festival-tickets.
To purchase tickets and to view the full programme of activities for Spirit of Folk 2015, visit www.spiritoffolk.com.
If you are headed along, be sure and drop us a line……we’ll be the ones whispering sweet somethings in the woodlands.
Can. Not. Freaking. Wait.
- iTunes: The SodShow